Surprise! 1st ever guest post!!


Hi bookwanderers! Guess what?! This is the very first guest post for The Bookwandering Corner! I am so exited! I learned quite a few things from mrs. Brandy too. When I found out my friend's mom was a librarian I was so excited and asked her if she would be interested in doing a guest post for the Bookwandering Corner. So, I will stop talking and let you read this fascinating post!

Who are you? 

Hi reading friends!  I'm excited and grateful for the opportunity to be a guest blogger here at the Book Wandering Corner.  My name is Brandy Rollins and I work for the public library in Charlotte, North Carolina.  I love my job, but it's not the job I planned to have.  Before coming to the library, I was a teacher for eight years.  Teaching reading was my favorite and I made the transition to the library so I could focus more on books and reading for fun - not just for tests.  

I've always been an avid reader, and when I was a kid the library was my happy place.  I still loved to visit when I was an adult, but I didn't think I could work here because I don't have a library degree.  It turns out that I was wrong!  To be a librarian, you have to have a masters in library science, but there are lots of other jobs in the library that allow you to utilize other education.  I was able to use my teaching degree to get a job as a library associate who specializes in children's books and programs.  I do a lot of the same things as a librarian.

What's it like working at the library?

My favorite part about my job is programming.  I do lots of different programs here at the library, but I have the most fun with baby story time and an art program called Creating with Books where we read books and study the way different illustrators help tell stories through their pictures.  Then we create our own piece of art inspired by the book. My least favorite part about my job is trying to keep the shelves neat.  Our branch has about 12,000 books - and that's a lot to keep straight and organized!  

Work at the library falls under three main categories: programming, circulation, and reference.  Programming is anytime you are teaching or leading a group of library patrons.  I shared my favorite programs, but I also lead a ukulele story time, puppet shows, elementary tutoring, LEGO club, and outreach where I visit the local high school and teach students how to access our digital library resources. 

Circulation is anything that relates to library books or customer accounts.  I check-in books, do lots of shelving, make library cards, and send books to other branches to fill customer requests.  I also have to weed books, or take them out of the system, when they get old and broken.  Reference is the most important part of working at the library.  This is when I help customers find materials or answers they need.  This could mean finding a great new book to read or helping a customer use a computer.  It also means taking phone calls from customers who need help - and sometimes the calls are a little crazy!  One of my favorite reference calls was from a woman who wanted the address to Windsor Castle so she could send Queen Elizabeth birthday flowers.

I love working with people and helping to connect them to new books and authors.  Sometimes I wish the books could shelve themselves and keep themselves nice and neat, but I never get tired of helping people. 

What are your recommended reads?

If you are looking for something new to read, here are a few of my all time favorite books. 


This story follows a china rabbit who is truly self centered and unlikeable at the beginning of the story.  However, life becomes a grand adventure for Edward Tulane.  He travels the world and meets many new people.  With every relationship, Edward learns something about himself and about love.


This is a fictional tale about a real life gorilla, named Ivan, who spent almost thirty years in captivity - living in a shopping mall.  The book is written from Ivan's point of view and as he tells his story we learn a lot about animals and what it means to take care of your troop. 



This adventurous, exciting series follows a group of genius kids as they work together to help Mr. Benedict stop the evil Mr. Curtain from his plot to take over the world using mind control.  The friendships and danger grow throughout the series. 

Comments

Popular Posts