Fairy Tale Time

Have you ever watched Disney's Little Mermaid? Do you remember how Ariel lived happily ever after? Or how horrid she acted around her father? I'll let you on on a little secret. All of that, the stuff I just asked you, was a lie. Hans Christian Anderson, the author of the Little Mermaid, wrote that story totally different than how Disney portrayed it to be. I would gladly tell you all abut how different the original story is, or how well its written, but that would take away all the joy of reading the story for yourself. I strongly encourage you to read or listen to it.

Late last year I had been interested in reading fairy tales. Not the fairy tales Disney put out. I'm talking about the real deal. The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, Charles Perrault. All those cool guys. There are hundreds of classic fairy tale writers. 

There are so many classic fairy tale writers, who wrote many great storys, and in the end those precious tales with strong morals, have evolved by people repeating them over and over again changing minor details until you have these modern fairy tales. Disney has for sure had an input on this. So many kids grow up watching The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Tangled. And these are the storys that they repeat to their kids as adults and as time passes the storys you know now will have evolved even more.

For the next few weeks I am planning on reading various fairy tales. Once a week I will post some discussion questions about the fairy tale of the week. I encourage each and every one of you to read along with me. Some of these fairy tales are fairly short and you should be able to finish them within ten minutes, others are a bit longer. The fairy tale of the week, that you should read, is Puss in Boots by Charles Perrault.

I like to buy my books at Goldberry Books. If you have not visited that awesome bookstore here in Concord NC, it is definitely on my Bookstore recommendations list.

Peace, Autumn
#FairyTaleTime

Comments

Popular Posts