Love Comes Softly

 Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke


⭐⭐⭐1/2 - three and a half stars

Love Comes Softly introduced the characters of Marty and Clark Davis, whose tragic circumstances brought them to a "marriage of convenience" on the frontier prairies during the mid 1800s. The story of how Clark's patient, caring love mirrored that of the heavenly Father, drawing Marty to faith and to love, has captured the hearts and imaginations of over one million readers on Book One alone!”

I wasn’t too sure when I would get to reading this, however when I was told we were planning on watching the movie in a few days I knew I absolutely had to read the book first. As is my preference.
I don’t know if I’ve read a book with the ‘Marriage of Convenience’ trope before. It’s not my favorite trope but I don’t mind it either. I would rate that trope 5 out of 10.

Characters:

Marty: I wasn’t sure what to think of her at first. A widowed grieving woman at the age of 19 I think it was. How poignant. I came to like her. However, it was a surprise to see how she talked. Took a little getting used to… She definitely grew in the span of 6 or so months. From only knowing how to make coffee and pancakes to baking an abundance of treats. From not wanting much of anything to do with Missie and Clark to loving them ever so much. And from not wanting anything to do with God to receiving him with awe and wonder.

Clark Davis: When he first entered the scene I thought he was some grieving weirdo. Then I realized that was who Marty would come to know and love. He was ever so patient and helpful to not only Marty but to his neighbors as well.

Mrs. Vickers: She is not a prominent character. However, when I met her she reminded me of Rachel Lind from Anne of Green Gables. Such a busybody gossip.

Missie:
What a cutie! When the first mishap occurred I wasn't too keen on her. After getting to know her I found out how sweet she could be. Her enthusiasm over the smallest things was adorable. It reminds me of how my little brother used to be.



Comments

Popular Posts