The Hunger Games

 The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

⭐⭐⭐⭐- 4 stars

Could you survive on your own in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.


Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weight survival against humanity and life against love.”

Series: Yes

When I found myself in a reading slump I decided to ask a librarian for book suggestions that would hold me from chapter one. I suppose it is no surprise that this very book was her first recommendation. (Besides the Giver by Lois Lowry. However, I had already read that book.) I got the ok from my parents and was set on a wonderful adventure. Well, I’m not sure I would call the happenings wonderful. More like violent, unjust, suspenseful at moments, and abhorrent. The only reason one like myself would call this story wonderful is because it was engrossing, with such a cool plotline. This book had me ‘talking to’ Katniss because of things she did. Now, when that happens it generally means  either “This character is so dumb, why should I waste my time reading this” or “Yes, this character has made somewhat dumb decisions but I love her regardless, even though she  should have seen he liked her from the beginning.” I am well aware that ‘conversing’ with book characters may seem weird, however I am sure there are plenty of bookwanderers who do the same.

Characters:

Katniss Everdeen:
She was a good character. I didn’t relate to her much in any way, with the exception of being queasy when there are open wounds and blood is bountifully in vision. I do admire her for her strength in hunting and protection of Prim. The willingness to take her sister's place in the Games was amazing. The love she has for her family and friends is great. She wants to protect all of them and see justice. One thing she needs to decide is who she will give her heart to. Peeta or Gale? My vote is Peeta. I don’t have any solid reasons why I prefer him though. Nonetheless, Peeta has my vote.

Peeta Mellark:
He was such a sweetheart. Katniss must have been so naive to believe he was pretending to be in love with her. Bro, I could tell from the moment Katniss told the story about Peeta giving her burnt bread that it was true. I did indeed fall for the whole ‘I’m totally in love’ speech Peeta spoke in his interview. However, I am pretty sure he wasn’t entirely jesting. He was so protective of Katniss, which I admired. I just wish that instead of Katniss continually interrupting him when he was about to say something important he would have said it anyway. In the end it made me so sad to read how heartbroken Peeta was.

Gale:
I’m not his biggest fan nor am I completely opposed to him. His admirable quality is the protection of his family and his hunting, as is Katniss’s. I feel a little bad for him, seeing your best friend kiss another guy and then pretend to be star crossed lovers together. In this book I haven’t learned a whole bunch about his character so I can’t say there is much more that stood out to me.

Rue: Yes, in the very short period of time in which I knew her it was great! I suppose I knew it would happen but my eyes may have watered during the scene. What a sweet little girl she was.

Is anyone else feeling the injustice of this whole story? They literally watch kids murder each other for entertainment. Sure, this book was entertaining and to be honest, I feel conflicted. This was an enjoyable book yet at the same time I am reading about children’s innocent lives being taken from the young age of 12 - 18. At the beginning of the book I constantly had to remind myself that these kids were being brutally murdered and I would never get to know the characters any better. Sure, I wanted Katniss, Peeta, or Rue to win. But cheering for Katniss, or any character, to kill someone is such an absurd thought yet true at the same time.  Here I am inquiring about why I enjoy Dystopian novels so much with the injustice and all.

Comments

Popular Posts