Mockingjay review

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
⭐⭐ - 2 stars and absolutely nothing more

(MAJOR SPOILER WARNING! I attempted to write this review without spoilers, yet I could not. Please accept my apology.)


My name is Katniss Everdeen.

Why am I not dead?

I should be dead.


Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.


It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans—except Katniss.


The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay—no matter what the personal cost.”


Series: Yes, book three. #1 here,#2 here.


All I have left of this series to read is the prequel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. When will I read that? I’m not sure. As of right now I am pretty pent up with Mockingjay.
The Hunger Games was enthralling, Catching Fire was next in line, and then there was Mockingjay. The whole first 80% or so was a bit dull. Part 3 included more entertainment you would think would be in this trilogy, however the last bit of Part 3 made me irate. You know, the part where kids were getting blown up? The part where Prim died. When Katniss went deranged. When she voted for another Hunger Games but with the Capitol’s children and then assassinated the new president.

Katniss has some major problems. Yes, the Hunger Games messed her up. Yes, she has gone through some trauma. Yes, she lives in an unjust nation. However, Peeta went through all of that too and do you see his attitude?
Peeta still tried to protect Katniss. Peeta still loved her after all the idiotic things she did that seemed to make her unlovable in this book. Peeta went through legit torture! Do you see him making the most IDIOTIC decisions? Peeta actually made an attempt to control himself while Katniss acted like a lunatic! Peeta must have unconditional love to love that mess.
Reminds me of Jesus’s love in a way. Christ died on a cross for us. Me, you, that guy named Bob. He has seen every wicked thing we have ever done and ever will do yet still loves us.  I never thought I would find a thought like that in THIS type of book. Huh, goes to show you there really is nothing new under the sun.
Ok, back to irate mode.
KATNISS IS A COMPLETE IDIOT AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE LIKES HER. (Sorry, I had to say it in all caps. It was satisfying. Let's go back to calm mode.)
The last chapter, as well as the epilogue was ok. Well, half of the last chapter. It was neat how they concluded it with Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch writing down their life story into basically this trilogy, The Hunger Games. That’s how I took the meaning to be anyway. Katniss and Peeta married and actually had kids! No more worrying about the annual hunger games or growing up in a nation ruled by President Snow. It is true that their kids are growing up in a graveyard where the original District 12 had resided. An interesting thought.

I have SO Many more thoughts about this book but am lacking the patience to write it out.

A quick summary of this review would be this, in fragmented sentences:
Katniss is an absolute mess and I didn’t like her character AT ALL in this book. Peeta was fine, I like him and Katniss in the previous books more though. Gale was ok. President Snow is crazy and who the heck bombed all those helpless kids!

Comments

Popular Posts